Trainings & Workshops
Have Dreams provides a number of autism –related interactive trainings and workshops for families and professionals across the state of Illinois including one, two and five-day seminars. These trainings and workshops provide comprehensive instruction regarding structured teaching for children on the autism spectrum. All Have Dreams trainings are based on the TEACCH methodology of Structured Teaching. Over the past several years, we have trained over 7,000 educators, parents and professionals in best practice autism methodology.
Caroline McCarthy, M.A.
Caroline McCarthy is a special education teacher with 15 years experience. Caroline has provided trainings for Have Dreams for eight years. She provides expert ASD consultation to families and schools.
Basic Elements of Structured Teaching (BEST)
- Overview of Autism Spectrum Disorders
- Basics of Structured Teaching
- Practical Application and Interventions
- Interactive lectures and instruction
A two-day interactive workshop providing an overview of Structured Teaching and its application for moderately to severely challenged children with autism spectrum disorder. Video presentations of three students (beginning level, mid- and higher-functioning) enhance the lectures and provide information for the hands-on activities.
This autism training session includes basic information on autism, including, characteristics, diagnosis and treatment. Participants will receive information on the learning, communication and social deficits that affect individuals with autism. Structured Teaching strategies covered in this training have been shown to reduce challenging behaviors. Video segments are included. Autism 411 Video
Reading, Math & Social Skills
Reading: Dozens of ideas for adapting books and increasing literacy. Skill levels range from matching concepts through advanced reading comprehension and even ideas for book groups.
Math: Tutorial on creating activities for beginning level Math
Social Skills: various ways to adapt commercially available independent and social leisure materials to make them accessible and enjoyable to children with autism.
Current Topics in Autism
Topics presented could include:
- Administrator Panel Discussion (Elementary, High School and Therapeutic Day School
- Females on the Autism Spectrum
- Current Research in Communication
- Effects of Social Media, Gaming & Internet on Individuals with ASD
- Sexuality, Safety & ASD
- Business Perspective of Hiring Individuals with ASD
- And more
This is an annual seminar designed to bring together professionals from various disciplines who are experts in the field of Autism Research and practice.
STRUCTURED TEACHING CLASSROOM SET-UP (CSU)
- Characteristics and classroom assessments of students with autism
- Principles and implementation of Structured Teaching
- Working with families of children with autism
- Communication and socialization strategies
- Proactive behavioral strategies promoting independent, vocational and social skills
Register for Workshop or Training
To register for a workshop please contact or send the appropriate forms to Lydia Wissing at email@example.com. If a scheduled training is full, please call Lydia Wissing at 847.685.0250 ext. 111 to have your name put on a waiting list.